Tuesday, July 5, 2011

July 5

Hello everyone! Today was very busy. Ryan worked with the harness and learned some basic commands; left, right, go, turn around and several others. The interesting part of this is that all of the commands are in french! Cest Bon! While he did not get to work with any of the dogs today, he did get to meet the dogs. This was very exciting to all of the kids. I haven`t yet mentioned that there actually seven children going through the program, six of whom are Americans. Ryan is the only South Carolinian, the others are from North Carolina. They range in age from 13-19 and they are rapidly becoming friends.
The weather here is great, although, by Montreal standards rather warm. The high has been around 33 degrees celcius which, I think, is about 86 degrees F. The trainers have been complaining about the heat and the kids are loving it! 
The date for uniting the kids with their dogs has been pushed back to Thursday. They will train with all of the dogs in the group tomorrow. They are pretting bummed about the delay but still extremely excited.
I found out today how Mira names the dogs. I was told that the litters were named by a theme. For instance, one of the dogs is named "jello" and all of the siblings of Jello have dessert names. Another dog is named "Kahlua" and she has a brother named "Shooter". This is Mira`s way of easily identifying what group they belong to and makes naming the dogs easier. There is a group of dogs having names of hockey players from Montreal Canadians. (Ryan is crossing his fingers on that one).
That is it for today. Ryan says he is too tired to do the blogging so he is turning that over to me. Sorry about that and by now I am sure you know not to expect too much! However, he is sitting beside me giving me his input whenever possible. So, if you have any questions for him, please post and he will answer through me.
Hugs and Kisses! Au voir!

Keisha and Ryan

5 comments:

  1. I can feel your excitement!! Keeping my fingers crossed for one of the "hockey" pups.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ryan My fingers are crossed for the Hockey Pup ! So glad you are making so many new friends at Camp Mira .It sounds like you are working very hard ,I know you are excited about metting your dog !Looking forward to your posts .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ryan, I am so glad that you have made this blog. My grandaughter, Darcie, is there too,and we are so interested in all the news that you are sharing!
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am hoping Ryan gets a dog with a "hockey player name", but I know that whatever the dog is named he will be the dog God intends for Ryan to have. We have 13 year-old French girl visiting for this entire month. I am going to ask her how to say those commands. I want to know what Ryan is "really" saying to his new companion. You know, is he saying "come, sit, stay" or is he saying "Miss Jana is a nut".
    Sorry about your foot, Keisha. Love you all.
    Jana O.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jamie, I am so glad you have found this blog!! The kids are becoming very good friends and when not working with the dogs, they are acting like silly teenagers! They seem to really enjoy their time together. I told Darcie that you are checking the blog and staying updated and she was very excited to hear that. Please let me know if there is anything you would like me to share with her.
    Jana, Ryan liked your post. He says to tell Sam to text him. He plans on meeting his dog tomorrow and wants to share the news!

    ReplyDelete